Coconut Flour Chocolate Cupcakes



My 3-year-old is a chocolate cupcake fanatic!  She absolutely loves baking cupcakes... its kinda our thing to do together.  We have this pretty amazing cupcake recipe that I found over on texanerin.com however, its not healthy!  I usually only make them for special occasions but she kept asking me to make them.. like EVERY week!  I knew that was not going to be a healthy habit for either of us.

I wanted to come up with a recipe that was gluten/dairy/sugar free so that we could continue to make cupcakes together and so that I wouldn't feel guilty for fueling her sugar addiction #truth.

Here's a recipe I came up with for chocolate cupcakes that is gluten free, sugar free and dairy free that you can make with your kids free from guilt!  No, they are not as good as the original chocolate cupcake (just being honest) but they are really tasty, guiltless and my daughter really doesn't notice a difference... as long as its chocolate :)


Ingredients:

Yields 12 cupcakes

1 cup raw honey
1 3/4 cup coconut flour (if you don't mind the gluten and want super moist cupcakes you can also use whole wheat flour, you could also use another alternative gluten free flour)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
2 eggs
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup coconut oil (liquid)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup boiling water (sounds like a lot but you will need it, trust me)!

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).  Line muffin pan with 12 liners.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
3. Add eggs, milk, honey, coconut oil and vanilla.
4. Mix for 2 minutes and then stir in the boiling water.  This will thin the batter out but that's what you want.
5. Fill each liner more than halfway full.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes in pan then remove to cooling rack.  Let cool completely before serving.

Disclaimer - these cupcakes will be slightly dryer and flakier tasting than what you are used to. I highly recommend topping with frosting. If you want a dairy free/sugar free frosting you could try this recipe from sugarfreemom.com, for a 2 ingredient frosting recipe.  Click here to get recipe.


For more recipes the whole family will enjoy check out my "SIMPLE + HEALTHY MEALS FOR REAL MOMS COOKBOOK eBook"!


Click here to start cooking SIMPLE + HEALTHY MEALS!

Are you mom looking for more healthy recipes + motivation?  Join my FREE Fit Mama #BODSQUAD Community Group.  I'll give you daily tips and knowledge to help improve your health + set a positive example for your family!


Click to Join the Free Community!



Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram