Tips for Getting Your Kids to Eat Healthy




I know how much of a struggle it can be to get our kiddos to eat the right things.  Picky kids can be the hardest to deal with!  My 3 year old is one of them. She always wants treats and dinner time can be a struggle to get her to eat everything on her plate.

We often resort to bribery just to get her to eat at meal time (I know its terrible) but the struggle is real and as a parent of two its exhausting to be dealing with two cranky kids. Am I right?

Anyways, I feel like even though Nora has given us a run for our money with what she eats we've done a pretty good job at setting an example for her and figured out a few things that definitely help encourage her to eat better!

1.  Let them cook with you

I often let me daughter help me prepare meals.  I give her her own mini cutting board and a butter knife and she helps me chop veggies or prepare dishes.  This does a couple of things... it gives her a sense of ownership over what she's cooking and it makes her excited to try her creation.  When we cook together she will ALWAYS eat her veggies.  Some might say its too much of a hassle to cook with your kids (and often it does take much longer) but I find the benefits outweigh the cost.

2. Let them eat off your plate

For example if we are out to eat and I have a salad and she has a kids meal with chicken fingers I always ask her if she wants to try my food.  Normally she will try it and then at least she's getting a taste for new things that she may like.  Encouragement is key! The more she learns different names of foods the more she's interested in them as well!

3. Don't make separate meals

I always make my daughter eat what we are eating for dinner time with some exceptions.  If I'm making a veggie that I know my husband and I love but my daughter hates I will make a different veggie I know she will eat as well. For example, I know she despises zucchini so when I make zucchini (which I love) I will just slice up some cucumbers for her instead to replace the zucchini.  I think its important that we are NOT constantly catering to our kids preferences. When we are able to set the limits it teaches them the importance of eating as family and eating the meal cooked for them.  At the same time, sometimes its not worth the zucchini fight of the century to force them to eat a food they truly hate.  In time, their taste palettes will change.

4. Be an example

If you're not eating healthy on a consistent basis you really can't expect your kids to!  They do what we DO not what we say.  So leading by example and putting your words into action can make all the difference in the world!!

5.  Find healthy delicious snacks

My daughter loves little bite sized snacks that are just for her!  While she doesn't always want the healthy ones, I've realized if I just make them for her and don't give her much option (haha) she will end up eating them.  Some ideas are...

Sliced bell peppers, cucumbers and hummus
Chopped carrots and honey
Lara Bars (she loves these and doesn't even know its fruit)
Sliced apples + Peanut butter
Seedless Mandarins
Daily Sunshine (organic kids smoothie)

Daily Sunshine has become a staple in our house for a quick breakfast or a snack. Its an all organic, soy free, dairy free, nut free, GMO- free, gluten free kids smoothie that has organic fruits and veggies, healthy fats and fiber.  It comes in chocolate and strawberry banana and my little one just LOVES it!  She asks for her "sunshine" every single day without fail!  Its definitely one of those staples we have around now on the days she is putting up a fight about eating veggies.  I know as a mom I can give it to her and be at ease that she's getting the nutrients her little body needs!
To learn more about Daily Sunshine click here.

Check out my "SIMPLE + HEALTHY MEALS FOR REAL MOMS COOKBOOK eBOOK" for recipes the whole family will love!



Click here to start cooking SIMPLE + HEALTHY MEALS!

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram