Why Not Sleeping Enough is Making You Fat



I know the last thing I wanted to hear when I had a newborn was that I needed to "get more sleep."  It honestly sounds impossible most days.  Especially if your baby is going through a dreaded leap week, growth spurt, teething... I mean when DO they actually sleep?

Unfortunately, the research shows that if you're not sleeping 8 hours on average at night, sleep deprivation may be one reason you're struggling to get the weight off.

In fact, researchers found that when dieters cut back on sleep over a 14 day period, the amount of weight they lost dropped by 55% even though their calories remained the same.  Moral of the story is that  too little sleep hinders your metabolism and can contribute to weight gain among a load of other problems.

I always thought I was "different".  Ahead of the game... I could function off 5 or 6 hours of sleep perfectly fine basically since I had my first baby (3 1/2 years ago).  But after years of sleep deprivation I've realized that I'm not any different, I've simply been putting my body on overdrive!  While it didn't affect me immediately, it all culminated into a host of symptoms years later including adrenal fatigue, weight gain, leaky gut, hormone imbalance, brain fog and chronic stress... not to mention the wrinkles and bags under my eyes that have emerged.

If I had known that chronic sleep deprivation would lead to all that I would have made a much more conscious effort 3 years ago to sleep when my baby was sleeping and take every opportunity.  At the time it seemed way more important to get things done around my house or spend my time working (because those alone moments are few and far between) but now I'm paying for it!

In fact, I believe sleep may be the single most important factor that determines whether you succeed on your health journey!  Even with the very best fitness + nutrition routine you may not see results if you're not sleeping.  Why???

Well its not surprise that about 35% of the population are sleep deprived which almost coincides with the amount of people who are obese!


Click to join the free fit mama community!


A lack of sleep actually makes you CRAVE food more!

If you've ever seen two people who follow the same diet, yet one sees results and the other doesn't its likely that sleep was a major factor.  For the person who isn't sleeping - cravings can be INTENSE!  Hunger is controlled by your hormones - specifically the hormones, leptin and ghrelin.

"Research published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinoloy and Metabolism found that sleeping less than six hours triggers the area of your brain that increases your need for food while also depressing leptin and stimulating ghrelin."

Even more, when you don't sleep enough your body produces more cortisol.  This is a stress hormone that is associates with fat gain.

"Cortisol also activates reward centers in your brain that make you want food. At the same time, the loss of sleep causes your body to produce more ghrelin. A combination of high ghrelin and cortisol shut down the areas of your brain that leave you feeling satisfied after a meal, meaning you feel hungry all the time—even if you just ate a big meal."

Sleep Deprivation even causes the part of your brain involved in decision making to not properly function.  You're even more likely to eat larger portions when sleep deprived.  This means your poor food choices are often not thought about because you're too tired to even function.  

A lack of sleep also decreases your body's ability to make muscle and slows down the hormones that help you recover and burn fat.

Muscle is super important for burning fat and for staying strong!  If your body can't properly build muscle you're straight up sabotaging your own hard work.  The lack of cortisol and growth hormones in  your system also make your workouts much more difficult and stressful on your body.


To sum it all up - when you don't get enough sleep you over eat, crave bad foods, hungry all the time and can't say "no" to anything!  It also makes your workouts unbearable!

"Research published in the American Journal of Epidemiology found that women who are sleep deprived are a third more likely to gain 33 pounds over the next 16 years than those who receive just seven hours of sleep per night."

So while its definitely difficult to sleep while you have a newborn I suggest doing the best you can to get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep at night and/or taking shifts with your significant other for baby duty so that you can get healthy.

I have been through the ringer with my babies.  And sure, we went through seasons where they just DID NOT SLEEP... like at all!  And that was hard.  However, it doesn't last forever.  I realized that I had wanted so much "me time" after baby went to sleep or "need to do this" time that I was neglecting my own sleep. When I made the change to focus on sleep, it took my health to a new level!

Sleep goes way beyond just the physical.

Weight loss is important but when we don't sleep it affects all our hormones, our energy and makes it nearly impossible for us to be good and loving caregivers to our children.  That being said, if you are struggling with a baby that doesn't sleep, take naps as often as possible (make it a priority) and remember this is just a season that will pass!

While it doesn't seem like a lot to get an extra hour of sleep each night it could mean all the difference in the world with how you feel and look!

Are you a mom need to get healthy, lose weight, balance hormones and make your health a priority again?  Join my Body Back Bootcamp!  Its  4 week program for moms designed to help you get healthy without the stress and guilt!







Click here to Learn More About Body After Baby Bootcamp

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram