Zucchini Taco Boats




Last week I was scrambling trying to throw together a dinner.  I knew I wanted to eat a lower carb meal as I've been trying to cut out processed carbs even more than usual.  I generally always keep them at a minimum but after watching the documentary, "The Magic Pill" on Netflix (which I HIGHLY recommend) I was inspired to eat even less (we'll see how long this lasts).

I'm not switching to a Ketogenic Diet or hard core Paleo because for me (just knowing my personality) it will not last long term and I am all about having a sustainable lifestyle that lasts forever.  However, I have decided to cut out even more processed carbs for a bit probably closer to 95% of the time versus my usual 80% of the time.  For the most part the only carbs I'm eating for the next few weeks will be sweet potatoes (because there's just no way I'm giving those up)!

Anyways, I had zucchini in my fridge and ground beef ready to cook and I kept thinking... what can I make with this?  At first I thought zoodles with bolognese sauce but that just sounded boring.  Then it came to me - zucchini tacos!  These were absolutely delicious.  My 4 year old loved them, my 1 year old loved them and my husband who came home late to re-heat them LOVED them.  Needless to say, these will be a staple in our house from here on out.

Here's what you need:

3 or more large zucchinis sliced length wise (depending on how many you want to make, each zucchini makes 2 tacos)
1 lb ground beef
1 Red Onion (diced)
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 TBSP Taco Seasoning (You can also make a homemade seasoning by mixing paprika/garlic powder/onion powder/cumin/sea salt/chili powder).
Cheddar cheese or any kind of cheese blend shredded
Optional toppings:
Green onion
Avocado
Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt (this is what we use in place of sour cream)
Salsa/Tomatoes

Directions:

Heat Pan over stove top on medium-high.  Place oil in pan and sauté onion.  Cook beef in pan until no longer pink, season with taco seasoning or spices.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Hollow out the center of the zucchinis and place meat mixture inside.  Place in a baking dish and cover with foil, bake for 20 minutes.  Uncover and sprinkle with cheese, bake for another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchinis are slightly softened.  Top with additional toppings and serve!

Until next time...

Check out my Simple + Healthy Meals for Real Moms Cookbook eBook for more great recipes the whole family will love!

xoxo,

Jackie




Click here to start cooking SIMPLE + HEALTHY MEALS!

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram