How to De-Clutter Your Home in 5 Simple Steps


Let me preface this by saying I am not an organizational expert. In fact, organization is the bane of my existence (just being totally honest) and I fought the de-cluttering process for years because I thought I didn't need it.  I was organized enough, or so I thought. However, what I found is that this was the best first step in simplifying my mind and life.



Because lets face it. Life is complicated and hardly simple. Would you agree?



As a mom of 2, business owner, wife, maid, chef and all the other hats I wear I got the the place last year where enough was enough. Stress started to pile one on top of the other (and so did the stuff).




I got to the point where I basically hit rock bottom in my personal life, in my health and in my brain because of all the extra clutter wandering around in my head and in my home.




Busy for me became a badge of honor but it was slowly deteriorating my health in more ways than one. Have you ever felt weighed down by all the clutter (physically and mentally) and just wanting to scream? That’s how I felt.



For that reason I’ve been taking the past year to really focus on practical ways to simplify my life. And during this process I’ve learned a thing or two about making mental and physical space for what really matters.



While on my search for simplification and more balance I learned that to clear the clutter in my mind I first needed to clear the physical clutter. Now, my home really isn't what I'd consider cluttered. I mean I've been to other people's homes (which will not be named) who literally have stuff upon stuff upon stuff and just being in their home seems overwhelming.


I've always been somewhat more minimalist however over the years I have collected my fair share of stuff that I really just don't need. I mean do I really need old hair dye under my sink and 4 spatulas in the kitchen? Probs not.



Okay I digress, but seriously if you really take a good look around you there's a lot of stuff in your home that you really don't need to hold on to.



As I’ve come to realize, life doesn’t have to be so complicated and its small things like decluttering your home that can help take the weight off your shoulders and rein in the madness (to start at least).


After completing the de-cluttering process I felt SO much lighter. Like my home is now that real place of peace and comfort with so much less to think about.



I want to invite you to simplify your life with me. Starting with your home.



Here’s My 5 Steps to De-Cluttering Your Home:

1. Tackle one room per day or per week. Make a list of every room in your house, storage spaces, pantry etc and start with the most overwhelming spot. I started with my master closet and I’m working my way through the whole house.

2. Focus on only keeping the necessities and cherished items. Clear out anything you haven’t used in the past 6 months, multiples of items (no you don’t need 6 spatulas in your kitchen or that old sweater you are saving for a special occasion LOL), outgrown and unnecessary items that you “might use someday.”  Let's be honest, you are NOT going to use them or wear them if you don't LOVE them.  Keep only your favorite stuff that you use regularly, that's in good condition and fits well.


3. Keep a trash bag with you as you de-clutter each room and throw away any trash or broken items. And keep another bag or box for items to sell or donate. Be sure to decide on a place to store all these bags as you collect them over the next couple weeks. Wherever you choose should be the last and final room or space you de-clutter.



4. Don't forget to de-clutter your pantry, medicine cabinets and storage spaces. These are easily forgotten spots as we tend to shove everything "random" into junk drawers. But why? This is still mental clutter that is taking up unnecessary space in our lives.



5. Celebrate Your simplified home by having a big yard sale at the end of the decluttering process (did I mention this is also a great way to make some extra cash) and donating the rest! You can even sell larger items on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.



Bonus Tips:


These are great just to keep your day to day life organized and uncluttered. Because if you have kids you know how quickly that organization turns into a new disaster.


1. Empty trash cans daily
2. Sort your papers and mail each day/night so they don't pile up on counters
3. At the end of the night walk around your house with a laundry basket and pick up any clutter and put it away.
4. Wipe down your cleared counter tops each night.
5. Hang a hook or place a bowl in your entry way (or garage entry) to put keys/wallet/purses


I hope these tips help you on your journey to a more balanced and simplified life!


I'd love to know... do you need to de-clutter your home? How do you want your home to feel?


















Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram