Why You Should Get Fit Pre-Pregnancy


h

At 34 week pregnant with my 2nd baby and still working out 5-6 days a week. I've been very open about sharing my journey and so I often get asked my biggest tips on having a healthy and fit pregnancy and today I wanted to share my BIGGEST tip. This is a tip for anyone who is considering having a baby, wants to conceive or even if you are already pregnant.

My biggest tip is this... START PRE-PREGNANCY!!!

Alright, alright... Calm down friend. If you’re already pregnant, don’t stress. This is just a good tip to learn for your next baby that I personally learned the hard way.  


Before getting pregnant with my first daughter, I was so insanely busy.  I had put my fitness and health on the back burner for a year or so (bad decision).  I wasn’t worried about my weight at the time and I was “fairly” healthy so I just let it slip because I was "too busy."

Gosh, if I knew then what I know now...cause let me tell you...having a job and working around the clock and taking care of YOURSELF is not NEARLY as busy as how your life changes once you have a baby and you have to take care of THEM. You think you're busy now, THINK AGAIN (end rant)! But in all honestly, if I would have known all this before having babies I would have got my butt in gear. But I was naive and didn't even take it into consideration. (Just a tip for those of you who don't have kids yet).

And while I was busy making excuses, my body started to deteriorate and weaken.  I found out I was pregnant a couple months after suffering and recovering from a back injury which was mainly due to me not taking care of my health.  


The pain of that injury continued well into my pregnancy and it wasn’t until I was 17 weeks pregnant that I decided it was a good idea to start exercising again.  Now, I’m not saying it was too late, but I believe if I had taken care of myself for the year before I got pregnant I would have been MUCH better off and had a smoother, less complicated pregnancy.


While I worked out during my 2nd trimester, the majority of my first pregnancy I was either in extreme pain or on bed rest (3rd trimester).  I truly believe if I would have taken my fitness seriously before pregnancy I could have avoided these problems.


As soon as I was cleared to exercise after having my 1st daughter,  I stepped up my game.  That gave me a solid 2 years to get back in shape before I got pregnant again.  BEST DECISION EVER.  I was in great shape before my 2nd pregnancy which I truly believe is the reason why I feel less aches and pains, I’ve had zero back pain, and my body truly feels healthy and strong this time around.  


News flash! PAIN is NOT a requirement during pregnancy.


I hear women tell me all the time that they are hoping to conceive in the near future and don’t want to start on their fitness journey.  In my opinion, that’s a big mistake!  Just because your body is going to change while you're pregnant doesn't mean you don't take care of it. This is the MOST critical time! Let's not be vain. Working out isn't all about losing weight or getting ripped... its about taking care of God's creation in YOU!!!

PLUS...


There are SO many benefits to being in shape before trying to conceive …
•It helps you BOUNCE back faster after you have your baby
•Accomplishing fitness goals helps you feel EMPOWERED and in control (great feelings before pregnancy)
•Forming healthy eating and exercise habits before pregnancy makes them a lot easier to stick to during pregnancy.
•Less stretch marks
•Better chances for an easier labor and delivery
•When YOU are healthy it can improve your chances of getting pregnant


Honestly the list goes on…but its never “too late” to get fit EVEN if you’re on the path to motherhood…. even a 2nd, 3rd or 4th baby.

This is the prime time to get your body into peak physical state to carry that bundle to full term.  You’re going to receive so many amazing benefits to getting in shape pre-baby. It’s not just about the “bounce back” (although that is a huge perk), it’s about feeling as good as you can for the next 9 months of your life while you carry that growing baby in your belly.  

Pregnancy is hard so don’t make it harder on yourself by thinking you have to wait until post baby to get in shape.  Wherever you are on your journey, start taking action NOW!  You will not regret it.

Want more tips? Get my FREE guide on my Top 5 Secrets to a Fit Pregnancy and Fitting it All in

xoxo

Jackie



Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram